Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Do As I Say, Not As I Do...

We are a nation of hypocrites. Now, before you get defensive - think - that doesn't mean that I don't think anyone ever practices what they preach...but, at some time on any given day, we say something that someone should or shouldn't do, and then turn around and do the opposite. My mind trails back to the elections last month - all of the candidates for different offices are constantly sliging mud at each other -- and calling their opponents on speaking out both sides of their mouth seems to be one of the biggest accusations made.

That wasn't what brought this idea about though. I was sitting in worship on Sunday morning, and, as is often the case, there were a couple of children that were being particularly vocal. This went on, and after a bit, the woman sitting in front of me turned around to see who the culprit was -- a few different times - and a look of displeasure was all too evident on her face. Now, maybe it's because I've dealt with kids so much, maybe it's because I've spent so much time in church services, maybe it's even because I'm not a parent myself, that I've gotten to the point where most often I just ignore those outbursts. I guess I also figure that the parent is frustrated enough with a child that doesn't want to be quiet, that they don't need 20 pairs of eyes reminding them that the child in their lap is not quiet.

This went off and on for the next 10 minutes or so...and after the woman had turned around to look a fair few times - something happened - her cell phone went off...during the church service. Her husband sat there shaking his head, and she fumbled around trying to find it so she could turn it off. It was all I could do not to chuckle.

Then, last night, I was chatting with a friend of mine about broken committments, and how bad we feel when that happens. This friend mentioned how she felt even worse because she'd been getting after her boss for doing the same type of thing, and I sat thinking for a moment. My response to her was that all to often, it seems like the things we criticize others about the most are the things we have the most trouble with ourselves - it's a lot easier to fix someone else's problems than our own. Also, when we find ourselves doing those things we detest, we are that much harder on ourselves because we see ourselves in a different, imperfect light.

So, we are a nation with planks in our own eyes, trying desperately to see the specks in the eyes of those around us. Cut others some slack - and cut yourself some slack...after all, no one is perfect.

No comments: